Specimen 4 (A.K.A. Ringu) is a hostile enemy in Spooky's House of Jump Scares, first encountered at Room 166 in the abandoned school area.
Specimen 4 appears to be a girl with long, messy, black hair and pure-white skin. Her fingers extend into claws that are stained red with what appears to be blood. Specimen 4 also has pure-black eyes and a black, abnormally wide mouth. She wears a light, grayish-blue garment with wrist-length sleeves and a white sash around her waist. Specimen 4's legs and feet are black.
With the endless mode update, she gains two additional forms. The first form is a more realistic and sinister version of her original design. Her face is much more detailed with large black eyes and blood around her lips. Her hair, skin, and dress remain largely the same, but now they are more detailed and her dress is stained with blood and her belt is now red. Her hands now have long, bony fingers covered in blood. Lastly, her legs now match the color of her body instead of the original black color.
Her third form is very similar to her second form. The two biggest differences is her mouth is now hanging agape, showing long sharp teeth and a pointy tongue. She also has two extra pairs of arms. In this form, her body and head contorts and shakes violently.
First Variant Gameplay
She resides in the abandoned Japanese school area. Whether this area is an actual school, a fake one made by the GL Labs and Spooky, or a Specimen 4 controlled environment is unknown. At the end of Room 166, the player will hear a death rattle, and then a long sigh followed with Specimen 4's first appearance in the game.
Specimen 4 does 35 damage on contact and can float over gaps and phase through walls. She seems to be a generic chase monster.
During the chase, the player may hear her laughing, humming a lullaby, or even whispering to them, "Come here", or "Stop."
When Specimen 4 kills the player, the screen shows Specimen enlarging her mouth to consume the player. The scene then cuts to an image of her bloody hands holding her stomach, now visibly larger, with the notes:
"Hush now my child, you're safe now."
Second Variant Gameplay
During her chase in Endless Mode, Specimen 4's static overlay will progressively become thicker; to the point where the player becomes completely blind. After which the static overlay resets with the sound of a camera, restoring the player's vision. This effect happens through the entire duration of Specimen 4's chase.
She is much faster in this variant but slows down slightly when looked at.
She has the same jumpscare and death screen as original Specimen 4.
"BREAKFAST WAS TOO EARLY", Specimen 4's former chase theme.
"BREAKFAST WAS TOO LATE," Specimen 4's chase theme.
Specimen 4's second form chase theme.
Specimen 4's awakening sound.
Sounds which can be heard when Specimen 4 is near the player.
- Specimen 4 is a homage to Japanese RPGs.
- More specifically, Specimen 4's appearance was based on the popular horror game Corpse Party.
- Before the 2.7.1 update, her death screen said "Hush now my child, your safe now." where the word "your" was in incorrect use.
- She appears to follow the trope of women turned into malevolent spirits, who often stalk the protagonists in various Japanese horror media (such as Ju-on: The Grudge, The Ring, etc.). Like those ghosts, Specimen 4 features several of their characteristics: long black hair, pale skin, dark eyes, and white clothing.
- More notably, right when Specimen 4 starts chasing the player, it will produce a death rattle, resembling that of the evil spirit of Kayako in the film Ju-on: The Grudge.
- The first time Specimen 4 appears, she is invisible until the players shine the flashlight at her. This effect disappears after leaving Room 166.
- The number 4 is heavily avoided in Japan, due to it being pronounced exactly like the word death. Specimen 4 is a possible reference to this.
- The room where Specimen 4 appears, room 166, may be a reference to the SCP-166, where the object too was a girl.
- Specimen 4 is the only specimen with two chase themes, one heard during the first encounter and second when she comes back.
- With the Endless Mode update, she also has a third chase theme during her second version's chase.
- The scream heard at the beginning of her second form's chase is in fact a part of her chase theme, the same effect as Monster 4.
- Specimen 4 is the only specimen which has two different chases and separate appearances for each.
- Specimen 4's second version could be a nod to the Fatal Frame series.
- It is worth noting that the first two forms seem to resemble Jane the Killer and Jeff the Killer or one of his victims, respectively. It is unknown if this was intentional. It is never referenced in game.
There are scanlines on Specimen 4, with a black fog around her.